Everybody loves summertime.
The school kids are at home. College students are at home. Teachers are at home. Grandparents are at home.
And the ants are home.
Yes, summertime in Maryland/DMV and that means that ants are probably going to invade your home, and unlike your family, they are uninvited and destructive. Ants will not only tear up your property, but they can also injure your loved ones and pets.
Here are the main types of ants in Central Maryland that can cause problems:
- Carpenter ants: These ants build nests inside of wood. They tunnel and remove wood along the way. They also contaminate food. They need moisture to survive. You can keep them away by removing water-damaged wood from your home and making sure gutters are clean and properly draining water. Store wood away from the house and trim trees and bushes that are touching the house.
- Pavement ants: They build their nests under pavement, but can also be found in walls and under floors. Be sure to clean up pet food, your food, and beverages and keep your kitchen clean. Food should be stored in sealed containers. Your home’s foundation, windows, and doors should also be sealed.
- Acrobat ants: These nasty ants sting when threatened and get in your food. Seal window cracks, doors, pipes, foundation, and exterior walls. And, again, clean your dishes right away and store food in sealed containers.
All of these ants have one thing in common: they are destructive! You can do your own “pest control” by taking the necessary precautions of storing or wiping up food right away.
If you have spotted these ants and they are taking over, Pest Shield Inc.’s team of Pest Management Professionals will work with you to ensure that your home or business will have the most effective Green Pest Control and Management Reduction Strategy to rid you of these ants! Call us at (301) 829-0060.
We have a proven strategy to reduce destructive, disease-carrying, common nuisance pests in and around our client’s homes and businesses. It is a pro-active approach where we reduce the conditions that are favorable for pest populations in your home to thrive.
Here are some practical tips and recommendations that will work synergistically with Pest Shields Pest Management Service for both homeowners and businesses:
- Moisture Reduction: this is the best way to reduce mosquitoes and other pests such as termites, carpenter ants, odorous house ants, and other pests.
- Vegetation Reduction: trim remove plants, bushes, and tree limbs from touching the structure(s).
- Source Reduction: remove leaves, debris and other stored material that attracts pests and rodents.
- Sanitation removal and repair: this removes potential food source attractions for pests inside and outside
- Structural Modifications: remove weathered wood and potential entry avenues to the foundation including pipes, HVAC lines and holes in screens.
- Regular Pest Assessments and Applications: Pest Shield Inc’s professional, award-winning staff can assess, recommend and apply.
Pest Shield Inc.’s team of Pest Management Professionals will work with you to ensure that your home or business will have the most effective Green Pest Control and Management Reduction Strategy incorporating all of the above recommendations! Call us at (301) 829-0060 for a free inspection.
If you look up “exterminator” in the dictionary (www.dictionary.com) this is what you find:
a person or thing that exterminates.
a person or business establishment specializing in the elimination of vermin, insects, etc., from a building, apartment,etc., especially by the controlled application of toxic chemicals.
“Exterminator” is a common term in the pest control industry. It does explain what we do. We “exterminate” bugs and other pests from homes and businesses.
However, when the time comes and you need an exterminator, what do you look for exactly? Anyone can say they exterminate pests. Anyone may claim to be an exterminator.
So, what should we look for in a qualified exterminator? Here are five things to consider when choosing an exterminator:
- Years of service: How experienced is the pest control company when it comes to protecting your family and home? How many years have they been in business? Do they have company marked pest control vehicles? You need to make sure they are not a fly-by-night company with no marked company vehicles. Those are definitely red flags. Pest Shield’s award-winning staff has over 60 combined years of protecting families like yours. Two of our staff members have protected our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan against disease-carrying pests!
- Certified and licensed pesticide applicator/technician: Maryland requires that pest control services have a business license: “Any business that is offering pest control services, or applying any type of pesticide for hire, as part of a service or contract agreement is required to have a Pesticide Business License and have at least one certified pesticide applicator who has demonstrated competence in the use of pesticides.” Also, each pest control company must have one certified, licensed commercial pesticide applicator. Registered technicians are not required to be under direct supervision. They must, though, have verifiable training in order to apply pesticides under the company license. You can verify licenses by calling the Maryland/Virginia/Washington, D.C. Departments of Agriculture. Be sure to get a copy of the pest control license to verify that the pest control company is licensed and experienced.
- Request references: Any experienced pest control company will have satisfied customers. They should have these references available. Additionally, reviews and references should be posted on their Facebook or on Home Advisor.
Pests are a part of life. They can be found in your home and your business. The importance of an exterminator is understood. So, do your homework. Make sure you get an experienced, licensed exterminator with good reviews and references. Your property and health depend on it!
All the exterminators at Pest Shield, Inc., of Mt. Airy, MD, use only our environmentally-conscious pest control solutions. We are licensed and certified by the Maryland and Virginia Departments of Agriculture in all Pest, Termite, and Public Health Categories. Please contact us at (301) 829-0060 or (888) 9 NOPEST or email@example.com.